- Information about the whole service
- Email Service for Student (KUMOI)
- Email Service for Faculty and Staff (KUMail)
- 【Limited on-Campus】The current condition of KUMail
- 【Limited on-Campus】The change of environment surrounding mail(1)
- 【Limited on-Campus】The change of environment surrounding mail(2)
- 【Limited on-Campus】Cautions in sending mails(1)
- 【Limited on-Campus】Cautions in sending mails(2)
- 【Limited on-Campus】Cautions in receiving mails
- 【Limited on-Campus】Others
- File Transfer (KUMail Storage)
- Inbound Email Gateway
Email Service for Student (KUMOI)
Kyoto University Mail for Student (KUMOI) is an email service provided to students of the university together with student accounts (ECS-ID). Important emails such as emergency calls will be sent from the university, so please be sure to read them.
Anyone with an ECS-ID, such as a part-time lecturer, can use it.
- We use Microsoft 365 for student email.
- You can log in to the mail environment with your ECS-ID.
- Email sending limit: 25MB(*) including attachments by default
- Inbox (mail spool) capacity: 50GB
- See Integrated Cloud Services for other services available with Microsoft 365
(*)Attachments are base64-encoded and 4/3 times larger, but can be sent up to 25MB before encoding.
2022/12/02 19:00 サービス復旧のアナウンス確認しました。ご不便ご迷惑をおかけしました
1. Email address
Your new e-mail address is notified by accessing the following web site:
You need the authentication using ECS-ID for access.
And, Please look at "View account info." on the menu.
note: If spelling of your e-mail address is wrong, we can correct it. please contact us.
2. How to use
- Email Service for Student User Manual(PDF)(2023/05/16)
Use in web browser
- ID: ECS-ID
- PASSWORD : Password for ECS-ID
Use in email software
We recommend using a web browser for student emails, but you can also read emails with general email software POP/IMAP/Exchange.
In your email software, please make the following settings for receiving and sending emails.
If you can't connect with POP/IMAP OAuth2 (advanced authentication), please use the Exchange connection described at the bottom of this page.
note: You cannot connect to and send/receive from Gmail because it does not support these authentication methods.
OAuth2 (advanced authentication)
|Protocol||IMAP or POP||SMTP|
Your mail address
When connecting to KUMOI from Mac OSX's standard mail application, there have been many reports of problems such as not being able to receive emails with exchange, imap, pop, or send emails with smtp. If you cannot connect, please use the web or use an email tool such as Thunderbird.
3. Get Started
Students do not need to apply as they will be given the right to use the ECS-ID at the time of admission.
For part-time lecturers and others, it is necessary to apply for an ECS-ID, so please apply for an ECS-ID from the student/part-time lecturer account (ECS-ID).
4. Connection example
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from Thunderbird(OAuth) (PDF)(2022/06/14)
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from the Windows10 Mail App(Exchenge)(PDF)(2022/05/17)
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from Outlook(Exchenge)(PDF)(2022/05/17)
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from the MacOS Mail App(Exchenge) (PDF)(2022/05/17版)
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from Outlook in Android(Exchange)(PDF)(2022/05/17版)
- How To Connect to Student Mail KUMOI from iPad Mail App(Exchange)(PDF)(2023/04/11版)
5. Forwarding email to another email account
Please set up transfer setting from Kyoto University Account Management Page.Kyoto University Account Management https://ecs.iimc.kyoto-u.ac.jp
When you use KUMOI (Office365), some problems such as "Your E-mails cannot be saved in KUMOI." or "Your E-mails cannot be forwarded correctly." may happen. Contact us.
If you do not need mail forwarding from KUMOI
If you do not want to mail forwarding from KUMOI o365_stop_forwarding.pdf(PDF)
Please check your email at KUMOI directory, If you stop KUMOI mail forwarding.
6. Method of the backup
You will not be able to use KUMOI once you leave the university due to graduation or completion of the course.
One way to back up KUMOI emails is to use email software. You may be able to save it by connecting to the server with the POP protocol from Use in email software described in 2. How to Use.
See also the information below
- How to Backup KUMOI Outlook(pdf)(2023/04/11)
- How to Backup KUMOI MacMail (pdf)(2023/04/11)
- How to copy KUMOI emails Outlook (pdf)(2023/06/06)
7. In case your status changes due to graduation, etc
- Student mail is provided only while you are enrolled in Kyoto University.
- If your ECS-ID expires due to graduation, employment, etc., or if you lose your status as a part-time lecturer, you will not be able to use it, so you cannot use it as a permanent contact.
- Even if you are employed as a faculty member by a student and your ECS-ID expires, you will not be able to take over your email address and data.
- If you become a part-time lecturer who can continue to use the same ECS-ID, you may be able to take over, but the mail spool will not be saved depending on the suspension period.
Please select "KUMOI(Kyoto University Mail for Students)" for the Type of Inquiry.