- Information about the whole service
- Regulations for Use of ACCMS
- Service Application Timeline
- Service Selection Guide
- Trial Account
- Procedure to Start the Service
- HPCI Face to Face Identity Vetting & HPCI User's Guide
- Other Application Procedures
- Call for Supercomputer Collaborative Research Project
- Supercomputer Educational Use Project
- Programming Seminars
- Large-scale Supercomputer Systems
- Large-Format Printer
- Virtual Server Hosting
- Seminars & Call for Projects
- Application Guideline of the Supercomputer Educational Use Project for FY2017
Application Guideline of the Supercomputer Educational Use Project for FY2017
Academic Center for Computing and Media Studies (ACCMS) calls for proposals of Supercomputer Educational Use Project for classes of universities and research institutions. ACCMS selects about five projects throughout the first half and second half of the fiscal year, and bears a part of the usage fees for the selected projects.
1. Eligibility and Requirements
- This project is designed for classes requiring use of supercomputer systems at graduate school, undergraduate school, or technical college and conducted by instructor of university, junior college or technical college.
- A student under the project must meet the provisions of the Rules for Use of ACCMS. Undergraduate students are allowed for use of our supercomputer systems only during the class selected by ACCMS.
- A target project is expected to be a class of 50 or less and will be selected based on our screening process in consideration with the amount of load applying to the systems.
- Due to the limited number of simultaneous use licenses, including ISV application and Exceed on Demand necessary for use of GUI, a instructor must notify us of its classroom use.
- The project information including the name of instructor and organization, class and the number of students will be published in activity reports of ACCMS.
2. Use Conditions
All students registred for classes must complete application for the Entry Course so as to issue their user IDs (login accounts) for logging in to our systems. In addition, they are required to ensure computing resources during classes by logging in with their user ID of the Private Cluster Course or the Group Course separately issued by instructors. For details of the application procedures, see "8. Procedures After Adaptation of the Project". Note that a group with large number of group memebers of the Group Course must arrange to ensure the availability of computing resources for the time when the class is held.
3. Usage Fees
A usage fee is required for use of the supercomputer systems. ACCMS bears a part of the usage fees under this project as below:
|1,000 yen per person
|Group Course:type B1 for 6 months,4 nodes
4. Instructors' Obligations
All instructors submitted proposals for this project must observe the following:
- All students of the classes must observe the
- The computing resources available in the Entry Course and Group Course under this project must not be utilized for any other purpose than the class adopted under this project.
- All students' necessary login information, including user IDs and passwords, issued for this project will be sent to the instructor. The instructor must endeavor to prevent any unauthorized use and be responsible for providing instructions with students.
- ACCMS does not basically accept inquiries from individual students of this project. Thus, the instructor is required to organize students' inquiries and send them to ACCMS when necessary.
- Approval from the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry may be required for non-resident users including international students living for less than six months since their arrivals in Japan ("International Students"). Thus, instructors must observe the provisions of laws and regulations relating to export control. When attendance of an international student is assumed, please contact us prior to starting time of the class. (Reference:Regulations for Non-Japanese Citizens and for Japanese Citizens Residing in Foreign Countries)
Supplementary Notes for Supercomputer Users of International Students
- A class using a commercially-available textbook falls under the provisions of a known technology. Thus, such a class is not subject to laws and regulations relating to export control.
- ?Under the preceding paragraph, submission of additional documents is generally required to identify International Students for use of supercomputer.
- Approval may be required for use of unpublished materials in class.
- Under the preceding paragraph, such persons including International Students who obtained approval for the use are not allowed to browse our user's manual accessible for our users only.
In case where any other students than the White Countries (27 countries having solid export control) wish to attend such a class, identity confirmation is required in terms of Catch-All Control.
Reference: 研究を兵器等に転用させないために～安全保障貿易管理の基本～(第2版) *Japanese Version Only
5. Limitation of Use
- Due to system trouble or maintenance, the systems may become temporarily unavailable without notice.
- During out-of-service hours ACCMS may not be able to provide complete services.
- License services and use of the Large-Format Printer are NOT available.
ACCMS assumes no responsibility whatsoever for any disadvantages resulting from this project.
7. Preparation of Application for Project Proposal
Submission of application form and a copy of class syllabus is required to the section below by email. In case if a instructor cannot meet the deadline for the syllabus, the previous year's syllabus or a material equivalent to the syllabus may be separately submitted ahead of submission of the syllabus. After the completion of the screening process based on the submitted application and syllabus, the instructor will receive the results by email by the end of January, 2017.
- Deadline: No later than 12:00 on Thursday, 22 December, 2016
* Please consult with us in advance in case if a instructor cannot submit the application documents by the deadline due to circumstances.
|Application Form of Supercomputer Educational Use Project [PDF] *Japanese Version Only
|Application Form of Supercomputer Educational Use Project [Word] *Japanese Version Only
8. Procedures After Award of the Project Proposal
8.1. Applying for Entry Course
(1) Submitting the application documents
After award of the project proposal by the committee, the instructor must submit Application Form of Large Scale Computer Systems (*Japanese version only) and a list of students registered for the class well in advance prior to the class starting date. In case if a instructor cannot meet the deadline for the list, the instructor may separately submit the application form with care ahead of submission of the list. If a instructor wishes to include a unregistered person, including instructors, teaching assistants, or students, in the list for use of our systems under this project for this fiscal year, he must submit a document (or an electronic file) with description of the necessity of their use, names and organizations.
- Please fill in "教育利用 (Educational use): [name of the class]" in the "主たる研究課題 (main research project)" field.
- Please fill in the instructor name and put his/her seal in the "指導教員 (Instructor)" field.
(2) Receiving Approval Notice
All of the approval letters for use of the supercomputer system will be sent by mail to the instructor in approximately one week from the submitted date of the application form. Please handle the letters carefully because they contain important information such as user IDs and passwords. It may take time until they receive them depending on the number of applications, so please submit the application documents ahead of time.
8.2. Ensuring Computing Resources
- We call for application for each service course including the Group Course during specific periods of time. The application period is normally between January and February of the year for use in the following fiscal year. See Service Application Timeline.
- In order to use the resources in the Group Course that is dedicated to a class, a instructor must submit Service Course Application Form by the end of February. Please write "教育利用制度(Educational Use Project): [name of the class]" in margins at the top of the Form.
8.3. List of Application Forms
Please download the application forms and instruction for filling in forms:
|Service Course Application Form (Word) (*Japanese Version Only)
|Service Course Application Form (PDF) (*Japanese Version Only)
|Instruction for Filling In Service Course Application Form (PDF) (*Japanese Version Only)
|Application Form for Large-Scale Computer Systems (Word) (*Japanese Version Only)
|Application Form for Large-Scale Computer Systems (PDF) (*Japanese Version Only)
9. Where to Submit and Inquire
Research Information Section, Information Promotion Division, Information Management and Communication Department, Kyoto University
Academic Center for Computing and Media Studies, North Building 1F
Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto 606-8501
E-mail: comp-info * kudpc.kyoto-u.ac.jp (Please replace * with @.)