Termination of Password-Based Authentication for the IKEv2 VPN Service
publication date : Jul.11, 2022
The Institute for Information Management and Communication (IIMC) provides IKEv2 VPN service, which enables users to connect to the university's internal network from outside of the campus.
It can currently be accessed using either client certificate-based authentication or password-based authentication. However, it is becoming a very risky situation to use the later authentication for the reason that the password can be easily leaked when security incidents occur, in services that allow direct connection to the university's internal network from anywhere in the world.
Therefore, we have decided to disallow password-based authentication in order to ensure security.
We will send the announce individual mail to password users.
- VLAN fixed connection* service... August 22, 2022 at 9:00
- general connection service ... August 29, 2022 at 9:00
* "VLAN fixed connection" is the service to connect to a specific network, such as a laboratory's network.
how to set up client certificate-based IKEv2
Please follow this manual to set up the new configuration.
- The client certificate must be obtained in [the university's internal network]. Please come to the campus, or use the existing IKEv2 connection to obtain it.
- "Kyodai Rakuraku setting tool" on macOS, iPhone and iPad is no longer available. please delete it if you have. FAQ
- No VPN connection such as an IKEv2 is required to access to e-journals and databases. FAQ
Thank you for your kind understanding with regards to this matter.
Kyoto University Integrated Network System