- Guide for PC environment preparation for work from home
Guide for PC environment preparation for work from home
On occasion of work from home it is common to use a computer at home. In this guide we show the preparation process of the necessity PC environment for work from home and security points for its usage.
Computer for work from home
At work from home, principally, you should use the computer provided by Kyoto University.
About computer supply, ask the section being in your department/institute. Each department/institute has their methods.
It is possible to use your own PC when you use only webmail or online video conference systems.
Access to the Attendance Management System at work from home
To input your attendance in the Attendance Management System at work from home,
▷ Setting for checking your one time password
▷ Setting for VPN network connection
Details of settings are shown at Preparation.
The IIMC recommends you to finish preparations in advance for the sudden start of work from home. For the sake of this, at your office previously, check and set some settings on the PC, and after bringing it to home make a final confirmation from the network at your home.
For settings on the PC for work from home, it is required beforehand to check using the PC at your office. Follow the below procedure.
1. Check with a PC at your office
Firstly, it is necessary to check your account status by using the PC at your office.
Step 1 is unnecessary for those who obtain in general the one-time password by using an authenticator for a smartphone.
Skip step 1, and perform steps 2 and 3.
2. Setting the PC for the work from home
Next, set your PC for work from home.
At step 2 "Setting VPN", it is absolutely necessary to obtain the client certificate. See the link below.
【Available services for work from home】
Prepare documents and materials supposed to be used while working from home.
It makes your work easier by copying in advance only the necessary files saved in each administration office's server (including consolidated servers) and saving into a storage where you can access from off campus.
For that task, these services would help you.
|Type||Service||Access from off-campus|
|consolidated file sharing services for office work
(consolidated file services for office work)
VLAN fixed VPN connection required
|online meeting||Google Meet||○|
【Cautions for work from home】
- Be aware of the risk of working from home that means taking the campus information out.
- Do not carry a USB flash drive/SD card in which sensitive documents or tables data are stored. (Among recent information security incidents, loss of these has occurred frequently.)
- SPS-ID is required when you access the system on campus from off campus. Check your password is set properly according to the guideline. ⇒ Password guideline
- Read the PDF Notice about information security for working from home. (Written in Japanese. To read it, the authentication by SPS-ID/ECS-ID is required.)
- It is permitted to use a private PC, only for using webmail and online conferencing systems.
- Each system within the staff portal has its own section in charge. It is possible to check the section in charge with a magnifying glass icon appearing in the upper right of the name of the system.