- Kyoto University Integrated Network System (KUINS)
- Wireless LAN
Wireless LAN FAQ
Keyword SearchKeyword search is available among FAQ
Ex.) How to use Wi-Fi
Please check the following points.
(1) Is your ID, password valid?
・For connecting to KUINS-Air, ECS-ID(Students)/SPS-ID(Faculty and Staff) is required.
In order to check ECS-ID/SPS-ID is correct, please click one of the following links and confirm if you can successfully login.
【KUMOI : Kyoto University Mail for Student】
【KUMail : Kyoto University Mail for Faculty and Staff】
・For connecting to eduroam, eduroam account or visitor account is required. (Please click here for details.)
Please be sure to enter ID, password correctly and also confirm the expiry date.
(2) Are you in the available area of KUINS Wi-Fi?
If radio wave is not strong enough, you will possibly fail to connect to Wi-Fi. Once you missed, the authentication may fail for some time. Please wait for a while then try again in the area where you can find the strong radio wave. The location of Wi-Fi access points is here.(Currently only in Japanese. Sorry.)
(3) Is the clock in your PC correct?
The connection error might occur if the clock in your PC/terminal is not correct. Please set the exact time and try again.
(4) Is the setting correct?
eduroam basically requires manual setting. Please refer to the user guide. Even though you checked the above points but still cannot connect to KUINS-Air or eduroam, please delete the setting first then try to setup again. To delete the setting, please refer to this link.
(5) Is the intermediate certificate/root certificate installed?
Depending on the PC/terminal, the intermediate certificateor root certificate might be required. Please refer to the installation procedure here. As for Android, you are asked to name the certificate when you click the download link. Assign a name as you like and click OK. Then downloading will be finished. Or, you need to download the certificate in your Windows PC first, then save it in SD card. Install it in Android from [Settings > Security > install via SD card(storage)]. If you install root certificate file on Android, please select the downloaded "SCRoot2ca.cer" file in CA certificate field when you configure the Wi-Fi connection.
(6) Is the selection of CA certificate etc correct? (In case of Android)
Depending on Android OS version etc, CA certificate needs to be selected. Please refer to this link.
(7) Have you used "Kyodai Rakuraku setting tool"? (In case of macOS, iOS(iPad,iPhone))
Please refer to this link then try to set up again.
Even though you checked the above points but still cannot connect to KUINS Wi-Fi, please write down the building name, room number and the date/time where/when you tried to connect, your ID (password is not necessary), the error message etc. in the below inquiry form.
Because of the version up etc of Android OS, the setting might have been changed. If "unspecified" has been unavailable as the option for CA certificate, please select "Use system certificate" then enter "kyoto-u.ac.jp" for KUINS-Air or "federated-id.eduroam.jp" for eduroam. For the details of settings, please refer to each Android manual in the Usage section from the below link.
There might be the case that you can't connect to KUINS-Air with the restriction of WiFi connection in using the following maker's product.
You can connect in setting "Invalid" in the "WMM" function with the following steps.
(1)Start 『Network connection』.
(2)Right-click 『WiFi』 and start 『Property』.
(3)Click 『Compose』 button.
(4)In the 『detail settings』 tab,Invalid the 『WMM』 and click 『OK』 button.
In case you cannot connect KUINS-Air even if you click "Connect" button in the popup "Server ID cannot be verified", please try the following steps.
1. Download CA certification from the following link and save it somewhere in your PC.
2. Double-click the downloaded certification file and click "install the certification" button.
3. Select "local computer" for the location to save, click "Next".
(If the popup "Do you allow this program to make a change on this computer?" appears, click "Yes".)
4. By default, "Select certification store automatically depending on the type of certifications" is selected. Click "Next".
5. Click "Finish".
6. Restart your PC.
7. Select "KUINS-Air" in Wi-Fi connection list. Click "Connect".
8. Enter SPS-ID/ESC-ID and password.
9. Confirm "Connected" is displayed for "KUINS-Air".
Due to the replacing system like server certificate of KUINS-Air, there might be the case you cannot connect to KUINS-Air. Please check the maintenance information etc. from time to time then perform the setting of "Kyodai Rakuraku setting tool" again.
【Kyodai Rakuraku setting tool】
- For Faculty and staff (SPS-ID) https://www.rd.iimc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/apps/kyodairaku2/index-sps.html
- For Student (ECS-ID) https://www.rd.iimc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/apps/kyodairaku2/index-ecs.html
Depending on the function of printers or file servers, some of them cannot be found. In that case, please specify the IP address of the devices in order to setup.
Please refer to this manual and change the setting so that ID and password will be always required. Please enter VLAN number every time in order to switch the target VLAN. If they have already been saved, delete the settings and set again.
In order to confirm if you connected to your target VLAN, please check IP address shown in this link.