- Kyoto University Integrated Network System (KUINS)
- Connection from Off-campus
Connection from Off-campus FAQ
Keyword SearchKeyword search is available among FAQ
Ex.) How to use Wi-Fi
If you try an IKEv2 connection in Windows 10 (1903) which is the latest version as of July 24th, 2019 by using SPS-ID / ECS-ID and your password, the screen to enter your ID and password will not be displayed and your connection will end in failure.
It seems that there is a bug on Windows 10 (1903).
The following workarounds are effective.
If you change your authentication method into the client certificate authentication, you will be able to connect it.
- How to get your client certification
- How to set up client certificate authentication
(Please refer to page 6 in the IKEv2 manual.)
Please set up as below.
- If you choose [Windows Setting]-[Network & Internet]-[VPN], the list of VPN connections will be displayed.
※To reach [Windows Setting], click the windows mark at the bottom left hand corner and click ⚙ (a gear mark). Then, [Windows Setting] will be displayed.
- If you click the IKEv2 setting, the button for connection will be displayed. Please click it.
- 3. The screen to enter you ID and password will be displayed. Then, you will be able to connect it.
The causes are considered to be the following 3.
(1) The restriction of router
First of all, please confirm the contract provider(The maker of the router you had purchased or the router provider) if IKEv2 connection or IPSec connection is available or not.
・The name of setting item differs depending on the model however the settings of "VPN pass-through" or "VPN multi pass-through" should be "Valid" in the broad band router at home etc .
(Please refer to the manuals of router.)
(2) The restriction at network environment
・Please confirm the provider because there is a restriction in the contracted provider. 500/UDP port and ESP are used, but if the terminal has private address under NAT, 4500/UDP port are used instead of ESP.
・Please confirm the network manager because there is a restriction in the network provided in the institute.
・There are cases that it is unavailable in the hotel or with the public wireless LAN service.
(3) The restriction in the anti-virus software
Please check the manual because there is a case that the connection is restricted due to the anti-virus software.
The VPN connection and proxy settings are no longer required.
Please check this infomation on Kyoto University Library websaite. [Important: Please install now!] A Plug-in for the New e-Resources Access Authentication System Released
Inquiry: Kyoto University Library
The reason is that the name of the VPN server can't be solved.
- In case of Windows machine, Please go to [Properties] of VPN --> [Network] tab --> [Properties] button of [Internet Protocol version4(TCP/IPv4)] then confirm if "Acquiring the DNS server address automatically" is selected.
- There might be the case that you can connect correctly in restarting.
Please check the following points.
(1) If you are using PPTP on Windows 10, please use other VPN methods. The PPTP service of Kyoto University does not support Windows 10. http://www.iimc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ja/services/kuins/vpn/use/windows.html
(2) DNS setting might not be "Automatic acquision". Please refer to the following web site and acquire the DNS server address automatically.
(3) Please confirm whether connection from your IP address is allowed. Your IP address can be viewed at http://www.iimc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ip
(4) In case of IKEv2, SSTP or PPTP on Windows machine, please go to [Properties] of VPN --> [Network] tab --> [Properties] button of [Internet Protocol version4(TCP/IPv4)] --> [Advanced...] button then confirm if "Use default gateway on remote network" and "Automatic metric" are cheked.